From: Dempster, Mark [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, September 28, 2001 5:03 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Backup - recommendation please?

Hi,

I'm looking for a backup solution for a new customer.  We normally use
unenhanced versions of Backup Exec or Arcserve, & back the system up out
of hours.  Unfortunately this customer needs to work 24/7.

The software my company produces uses a well-known accounting package at
its core, which stores its data in a very large number of files which
are related to each other.  It isn't possible to use a normal 'backup
open files' approach since if two related files are backed up - but new
data has been added in-between - restoring them will leave the system in
an inconsistent state.

So, I think what's needed (if such a thing exists) is a product that
will take a snapshot of an entire directory (inc. subdirs) and back that
up - while leaving the system usable (a moderate slowdown is
acceptable).  Does anyone know if there's an add-on for our normal
backup tools (or even a completely different product) that can do what
I'm asking?  If so, what's your experience of it?

Thanks,

Mark

Mark Dempster
Technical Consultant