Our server is not running the dir replicator.

Imagine this...

You load explorer, navigate to the c:\winnt directory and list it. You see
all the directories and the files. Mostly the files are some ini and txt
files along with some exes that you may or may not use. Anyway, you see them
all in there. You close explorer and go get a cup of coffee. You return,
load explorer, navigate to the c:\winnt dir again the files are gone except
for two exes. IN our case it is the named.exe and another I forgot.

Keep in mind, now, you are the only one who can access this computer since
it is locked in a cage in a very protected datacenter, trust me, you are the
only one that has access. This is what is happening.  There is no dir
replication service running or any other funky software or scheduled
maintenance or apps....nothing.

The only thing I can think of is that the file system is corrupt and the
files just get eaten up.

I then copy them back into the winnt dir ( I have them stored on another
part of the hard disk since they keep vanishing) and it happens again.

John