We're putting together a plan for upgrading our network, and I have a
couple of questions regarding the Procurve 3400 series.

They revolve around a decision I'll have to make about whether to get
two 24-port switches, or a single 48 port switch.

I'd like to get two of the 24 port switches, and put them in a stacked
configuration, so that if one of them dies we won't lose everything,
with our servers splitting their NICs between the two 24 port
switches.

They'll be the core switch(es) for our production network, and as such
will be the VLAN termination point, router, root bridge, etc., and I'm
wondering what the gotchas are for this kind of setup.

Does anyone have experience with these, and how they behave if one of
the stacked switched does a face plant?

I'm also interested in the speed penalty that stacking incurs, if any.
I haven't found hard figures on the HP site, but we're going to be
considering SANs later in the year, and I want to make sure that we
don't compromise their inherent 10Gig capability - we're thinking
iSCSI, or even FC over Ethernet, if that becomes useful by then.

TIA,

Kurt