Adding my 2 cents:

I started using roaming profiles a few months ago when I set up a
Terminal Server farm.  I have it set up for a user to log in, get
their profile, some parts are redirected (desktop, my docs, etc).  One
logoff the server will delete the local profile (to prevent issues
such as drive space and conflicts with local cache).

I'm not sure on the IE temp files thing.. I have my GPO set up to
automatically delete the temp folder when IE is closed so it's not
there when it comes time to sync.  This is also a good idea for
normal, non-roaming terminal servers since space is limited.

Outlook becomes an issue when you're roaming computers, especially if
you're using pop and no exchange.  One way around this would be to put
it in a network share and have Outlook open it over the network.
Microsoft will NOT support pst files accessed over a network at all.
Also, I've seen people do that on a file server and it would cause
weird issues.  You could try to sync the pst file but those files can
get quite large.  I ended up pop only users to use webmail and force
everyone else to use an imap server.  With that, I just create a small
pst file on a server for contacts and calendar only while the bulk of
the email remains on the imap server.

Seth