We will be migrating a Win2003 cluster to a new Win2008 R2 cluster this
weekend. My boss has decided that we will not be using the File Server
Migration Toolkit to move the data from the old cluster to the new. And
since he's on vacation this week, that decision won't change.

So what we will be doing is a full backup to disk (using Networker), and
restoring about 830G to one drive of one of the nodes. Then we will
unpresent one of the SAN drives currently being presented to the old
cluster, and instead present it to the new cluster (this will avoid
backing up and restoring 1.3TB of user files).

But here's my question - my co-worker wants to use the Cluster Migration
Wizard to move the cluster shares and other cluster resources (network
names, IP addresses, etc) from the old cluster to the new. What we don't
know is: do the targets of the shares have to exist on the new cluster
*before* we run the Wizard, or can we run the Wizard to move the cluster
resources while the restore of the share's is still going on?

Ideally, we want to start the restore of the 830G on Sat morning, *and*
run the Cluster Migration Wizard to move the cluster resource
definitions that same morning. Then, on Sun when it's finished, adjust
any shares accordingly (i.e., old share pointed to H:\sharefolder, but
now those files are on I:\sharefolder).

(my co-worker is willing to re-create all the shares in the cluster from
scratch, if he has to)

Thanks