This is a pretty interesting question... here
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff649254.aspx> MSFT mentions
that the service control manager loads the user profile, which implies
the HKCU hive -- the target of most user-level GPOs -- but it doesn't
seem that a non-interactive session would ever fire gpupdate.

That said, I am having a hard time thinking of services that depend on
user-level policies (computer settings and configuration files are the
norm, including for .NET services with proxy settings or lack
thereof).  I don't doubt that there exist some exceptional services
that go against the grain; one could do a .reg run as the target
user... ugly, ugly.

--Steve