If you’re looking for good metering/licensing, throw AppClarity into the mix…

http://www.1e.com/software/appclarity/

From: Tom Miller [mailto:tmil...@hnncsb.org]
Sent: Tuesday, August 09, 2011 8:53 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Kace K1000 System Management Appliance

Patching is super easy in KBox.  I spent about a day creating PC/server groups
(tied to AD/ldap or IP - your preference), then another
day creating my various patch groups.  Since then (about a year) I've modified
the patch groups maybe once or twice.  Once you create the PC groups, the patch
groups, and schedule the patches, that's pretty much it.  Very easy, and
excellent reporting.

Using SCCM, patching was equally granular as the KBox, but I hated having to
spend time to clean up my patch lists.  I have not used SCCM in a year, so
perhaps this has changed.

There is a metering component that you might find useful.  Or reports do the
same thing.

If it matters, I've found Kace/Dell support to be excellent, better than most
vendors I've worked with.  If you need something and can't figure it out, the
support guys will give you a hand.  We didn't have any SCCM support, since we
purchased it with non-profit/charity licensing.

Tom

>>> "Senter, John" <john.sen...@etrade.com> 8/9/2011 7:56 AM >>>

Patching will be a big part of this, but we also use the reporting to find what
is installed and versions.  Our procurement department is also wanting us to
find a product to report on licensing for current apps so we make sure we stay
compliant.