From: David Lum [mailto:david....@nwea.org]
Sent: Tuesday, August 09, 2011 6:03 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Drive mapping via login script

Nothing is broken, but we don't have any mappings assigned based on group
membership currently so IMO it's not scalable. I wanted to get a feel for
what others are doing and not change something to later hear "hey Lum, you
should have asked and not gone down that path.". If all I need to do is add
IFMEMBER functionality then that's the path of least resistance, easily done
and looks like a viable option. GPP also looks doable and has some "cool"
factor to it though.

Oddly, it's usually paths of least resistance I usually have the biggest
doubts about: "sure I can do that, but how does that scale, or work
flexibility-wise when a change or audit needs to happen?" is usually my next
question. Putting a user name on a folder ACL instead of creating a group
and adding a user to said group and assigning the group is  the model I
generally reference. Easy to do the former if you have 10 people and a
couple of folders you want to manage, no so good if you have 500 users and
50+ different folder ACL's.

I appreciate everyone's input!

Dave