From: Ben Scott [mailto:mailvor...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 10, 2011 4:17 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: The U in UPS stands for...?

  "The UPS has an automatic self-test feature which periodically tests the
battery. When the battery needs to be replaced, the UPS will indicate this by
dropping the load."

  We lost all phones and networking for a few minutes in one of our buildings
today.  The APC Smart-UPS powering the comm rack did a self-test; apparently it
didn't like the battery and dropped the load during the test.  It re-powered
itself after, but with "Replace Battery" lit now.  This is the second time this
year I've had a Smart-UPS do that.  I've had it happen to me before, too.
What's the point of a self-test if the behavior is identical to failing during
operation?

  F'ing APC.  I bet the batteries are swollen and stuck in the unit, too.

-- Ben