Can you directly copy the ttf to the Fonts folder?

-----Original Message-----
From: Ben Scott [mailto:mailvor...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 17, 2011 12:24 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Install fonts w/out admin on Vista; bypass UAC on a DLL?

  Win Vista with current SP/updates.  No domain.

  We want to be able to have non-admin users install fonts.

  Have removed the Hidden and ReadOnly attributes on <C:\Windows\Fonts\>.

  Have granted <Modify> permission to <BUILTIN\Users>permission on:

        C:\Windows\Fonts\
        C:\Windows\System32\FNTCACHE.DAT
        HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\Fonts

  Right-click a TTF and choose <Install>, and we still get a UAC elevation
prompt (asking for a password for the admin account).

  Consensus on the Internet seems to be this is because the bits and pieces of
Windows that do font installation are explicitly configured to require
admin/elevation.

  Checking into that as the problem, I did find the Windows Application
Compatibility Toolkit, which will supposedly let me create a shim database
(.SDB) which might be able to tell UAC to run a given program as the invoker,
and not to request elevation.  (No guarantees this would work, but it's all I
got.)

  Digging through the registry -- specifically, the shell menu stuff for
<ttffile> -- it would appear font installation is kicked off by Explorer
invoking FONTEXT.DLL.  I presume I can't apply a shim to just a DLL.

  Anyone have any clues on the above?

  The only other idea I've found was to use a third-party utility to register
the font with Windows, wrapped in a script, and I may have to go that route,
but I'd prefer to just get the regular Windows font installer to do the right
thing.

-- Ben