No kidding.

We had an actual HP plotter (you know, actual pens held by the robotic
gripper) back when I go my first real IT job that probably would still
work today. Replaced by a large-format HP inkjet "plotter" (model long
forgotten), that also was of that design era. This was 1990-ish..

Oh, that's also back when HP was of the mind that you should actually be
able to _USE_ all the ink you purchased in your cartridges, and didn't
feel like the protocol that the cartridge uses to talk to the printer
was of such national security importance that it need be encrypted[1].

-sc

[1] What you say? It also just happens to allow HP to sue makers of
compatible ink cartridges for violating the Digital Millennium Copyright
Act, effectively locking them out of the market? Convenient....