From: Steven M. Caesare [mailto:scaes...@caesare.com]
Sent: Thursday, 18 August 2011 8:45 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Using IP address restrictions in IIS 7

Yeah, still not impossible.

Have  "scope" selector that decides if the address restrictions (or whichever
parameter is in question) apply to the local page, the entire site, etc... and
then have the GUI tool default to making changes in a sensible location that
work by default.

If somebody wants to go add/change afterward via command line, so be it.

Heck, GPO settings can be in a zillion different objects linked in at various
places in the OU hierarchy, but there are tools to aggregate the RSOP so you
can see it, and then decide where you want to change it...

I feel that allowing CLI/scriptable editing of configuration data is a valuable
step forward. At the same time I feel that also removing configuration tools
(especially that allow "discovery") is a needless step backwards.

-sc