From: G.Waleed Kavalec [mailto:kava...@gmail.com]
Sent: 19 August 2011 15:44
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Why not failwords?

Our building alarm has this already.

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 12:25 PM, Hilderbrand, Doug
<doug.hilderbr...@craneaerospace.com> wrote:

I was just reading all those emails about making hard to crack passwords
(Almost but not quite OT: Passwords). I like Steve Gibson's analysis of why
long passwords are harder to brute force crack than shorter complex ones.
But, I wonder.

Why hasn't anyone implemented fail words? Two or more passwords associated
with your account or whatever. One you use for normal access and is as hard
to crack as you can make it and still be memorable. Then another password
that would be easy(er) to crack that triggers some event? Here are a few
scenarios I can think of off the top of my head:

[] Bank manager forced to open the vault at gunpoint. Use the failword.
Opens the vault and rings the silent alarm.

[] Someone tries to login to your PayPal or bank account and tries your
failword. They get the usual bad password result, but you get a text message
on your cell phone.

[] Someone tries to unlock your iPhone. They try the failword and it gets
locked until you send it a special email or text or 24 hours expire, etc.

Is there some reason this is a bad idea? I can't think of any.

Doug Hilderbrand | Systems Analyst, Information Technology | Crane Aerospace
& Electronics

  _____

Check out the new Crane Aerospace Electronics Newsroom
<http://newsroom.craneae.com/> !
Like us on Facebook
<http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Crane-Aerospace-Electronics/16330
5413682908> !
 <http://www.craneae.com/surveys/satisfaction.htm> We value your opinion!
How may we serve you better? Please click the survey link to tell us how we
are doing:  <http://www.craneae.com/surveys/satisfaction.htm>
http://www.craneae.com/surveys/satisfaction.htm

Your feedback is of the utmost importance to us. Thank you for your time.

Crane Aerospace & Electronics Confidentiality Statement:
The information contained in this email message may be privileged and is
confidential information intended only for the use of the recipient, or any
employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient. Any
unauthorized use, distribution or copying of this information is strictly
error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy the original message
and all attachments from your electronic files.

  _____

G. Waleed Kavalec

Remember Remember this Coming November
The Debt Crisis Treason and Plot
I know of No Reason the Republican Treason
Should EVER be Forgot !