Agree with all your points. I was just throwing it out there as a possibility.
If I were implementing it, I would definitely apply it only to certain ports.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ben Scott [mailto:mailvor...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 30, 2011 5:13 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: How to determine a host's IP range

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 5:49 PM, Crawford, Scott <crawfo...@evangel.edu> wrote:
>> From their description, what that does is look up the name to IP
>> address(es), and then uses that to drive the firewall rule.  Which is
>> useful, don't get me wrong, but if the CDN varies the IP address (as
>> some of them do), you might not get the desired results.
>
> On the other hand, if it's doing reverse dns on every ip that hits the
> firewall, it could work.

  I thought of that, but it comes with its own problems:

1. Reverse doesn't have to match forward (or even exist) 2. DNS lookups take
time (enough to often cause issues) 3. I think there was a third thing but I
can't remember it now

  #2 is especially bad if you really are looking up *every* address that hits
your firewall (as opposed to just certain port #s or whatever).

  Again, not saying it can't ever work, just that it's complicated.

> You're assuming they do that only once at rule creation.

  Actually I was thinking it would refresh periodically.  ;-)  I've actually
done similar in a Linux-based firewall, where a cron job would fire
periodically and re-do certain name lookups, to catch changes in IP address for
a given name.

-- Ben