On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 11:10 AM, Mike Sullivan <neog...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I do actually have a question here. Was there anything I could have done to
> get us up and running?

  At that stage in the game?  Unlikely.

  But now that you've learned the lesson, you can take steps to
prevent a re-occurrence.  DNS is designed with distributed redundancy
in mind.

  Getting a dedicated DNS hosting company, as others have suggested,
is a good idea.  That way your names are not tied to your feed, your
web server, or anything else.  It makes switching all those much
easier, and a dedicated host is less likely to screw up like this.
Many registrars include basic DNS hosting with your registration.

  Run a nameserver of your own.  Or more than one, if you have
multiple sites/feeds.  You can slave it to the hosting company's
nameservers, or some DNS hosts offer "slave service" packages.  List
your nameserver(s) along with the hosting company's servers in the
registration delegation.  Now you've got multiple companies, sites,
servers, and likely even DNS implementations serving your records.

  For example, at our local Linux User Group, our co-lo'ed server is
the master nameserver, but we also get slave service from Dyn Inc
(http://www.dyn.com/).  So our registered nameservers look like:

        our-server.example.org.
        ns4.mydyndns.org.
        ns5.mydyndns.org.