Maybe the registry entry DisableLastAccessUpdate improves that.
Op 6 sep. 2011 17:57 schreef "Michael B. Smith" <mich...@smithcons.com> het
volgende:
> Consider this: NTFS is a type of database. And not a very efficient one
either. And, for very small files, the files are actually stored within the
file system, while with larger files, NTFS has pointers to the actual file
data stored in the FS.

> Storage size has exploded in the last 10 years. However, performance has
not matched the size expansion.

> If I'm going to simply OPEN or CREATE a small file - number of files has
little impact. NTFS is just going to create a new entry in the database.

> If I need to find, list, or extend a file - well, it's going to take
longer.

> If I need to enumerate files (that is, get a directory listing) the more
files I've got, the longer it's going to take.

> It "can be shown" that having more than about 1K files in a directory will
effect enumeration. It becomes really noticeable (IMHO) around 10K and heads
rapidly downhill after that.

> Regards,
>
> Michael B. Smith
> Consultant and Exchange MVP
> http://TheEssentialExchange.com

reasonable performance. Would this be just per folder, or possibly logical
drive in general? Links/documents would work too.