On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 11:48 AM, Webster <webs...@carlwebster.com> wrote:
>>   Of course, it was VeriSign that issued a certificate for Microsoft to some
>> guy off the street, so apparently the invisible hand of capitalism ain't
>> doing
>> much for that, either.
>
> I thought that was for the domain renewal not an SSL certificate.

  The domain renewal was something else.  Occurred 1999.  Microsoft
forgot to renew one of their domains.  That domain was used for
Microsoft's web single sign-on, which was called "Passport" at the
time.  As a result, nobody could use Microsoft's volume licensing
systems, Hotmail, MSN, etc.  Some guy decided to pay the renewal fee
for Microsoft to get his account back working again.  VeriSign didn't
issue anything out-of-process; they kept the registration the same.
That was Microsoft's screw-up.  Some info here:
http://www.doublewide.net/

  The certificate thing was unrelated screw-up.  Occurred 2001.
Verisign issued some certificates in Microsoft's name to some other
entity.  This was Verisign's screw-up.  Some info here:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/bulletin/ms01-017

-- Ben