From: Kurt Buff [mailto:kurt.b...@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, September 12, 2011 1:08 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Web Server networking question

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 07:42, Tom Smith <tsm...@eastpointcity.org> wrote:
> I want to build a web site for our Help Desk.  To help users with the
> 'simple' stuff.  I HAVE set up a small server with IIS on it.  I have named
> it ( HelpDesk ).  Now I need to create the content.
>
> I would LIKE users to be able to just type 'HelpDesk' in the URL of IE, and
> be taken to this server.  This works, when I'm logged onto the server.  But
> from my desk, IE can't find it.
>
> I had hoped that I had fixed the problem about three (3) weeks ago.  While we
> were upgrading our phone system I found reverse lookup subnets missing from
> DNS.  So I created them.  But it didn't fix this particular problem.
>
> As we're currently without a NW Admin right now, and I'm obviously not up to
> speed on this either, I was hoping that perhaps I could get some assistance
> here...
>
> Is this something that CAN work from clients?
>
> If so, HOW?  What do I need to do, to make it work?
>
> In looking at other IT/HelpDesk websites, I've seen some with what appears to
> be multiple domain names, on what I assume to be the same server.  Do I have
> to create a new domain name for my server?
>
> Sorry, but I've never created a website before, so ALL of this is new to me.
> Any thoughts/guidance you would like to share would be most welcome.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Tom

Open up the DNS management tool for your DNS server. I'll assume that your
environment is a Windows Active Directory environment with DNS running on at
least one of your Windows servers, probably one of the Domain Controllers.

Expand Forward Lookup Zones underneath the server name in the lefthand pane.
Then click on the domain name in the lefthand pane, and in the righthand pane
click on the Data column header, to sort by IP address, or the Name column
header to sort by host name. Look for the host in question, and if it's present
make sure that the details match your expectations.

If it's not there, then right-mouse-click on the domain name in the lefthand
pane and choose New Host. Enter the relevant details.

Done.

Kurt