From: Ben Scott [mailto:mailvor...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday 13 September 2011 14:31
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: r...@walkermartyn.co.uk - Re: Linux AD Authentication - Bayesian
Filter detected spam

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 5:49 AM, Robert Jackson <r...@walkermartyn.co.uk> wrote:
> Are there any Likewise Open users out there?

  Not me, but I have used Samba to integrate with AD.

> I'm having some issues around trying to add domain
> users to a local Linux group.

  Standard questions apply regardless of OS: What OS and release?  For
example: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5, or Ubuntu 11.04, or...?

> What I'm finding is the ADUSER can log in to the Linux server and have its
> credentials authenticated against Windows 2003 AD correctly.

  Once logged in as the user, run the command "id" (as in
identification).  Make sure all the group memberships are listed for
the user.

> All's well and good until you try to create/modify a file/directory that is
> owned by
> locusr:locgrp. No matter what text editor is used, I always get the error:
>
> "<filename> E212: Can't open file for writing"
>
> drwxrwsr-x 2 locusr locgrp 4096 SepĀ  6 15:19 testdir

  Is this a pre-existing file?  If so, the permissions on the file also apply.

> with a umask of 0002 set against the ADUSER

  umask determines the permissions that get set on newly-created
files; it doesn't affect already existing files.

-- Ben

The information in this internet E-mail is confidential and is intended
solely for the addressee. Access, copying or re-use of information in it
by anyone else is unauthorised. Any views or opinions presented are
Walker Martyn Ltd or any of its affiliates. If you are not the
intended recipient please contact  administra...@walkermartyn.co.uk

Walker Martyn Ltd, company number SC197533. Company is
registered in Scotland and has its registered office at 1 Park
Circus Place, Glasgow G3 6AH, UK.