On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 9:43 AM, Michael B. Smith <mich...@smithcons.com> wrote:
> I don't see Metro being deployed by Enterprise. I could be wrong, of
> course - but right now, I see it as being very consumer.

  From what I've seen, it's targeted at phones, tablets, and other
fondle-slabs.  And it would appear to make a lot of sense in such
environments.  The screens are mostly too small for overlapping
windows to be  useful, and obviously touch is the way to do things.
So I see it as a win for that.  I don't really see "home desktops"
sticking around in their current role much longer -- I think they'll
mostly be displaced by fondle-slabs.  So all that makes sense to me.

  What's got me worried is all the noise about how it's very hard to
get away from Metro.  Even the Start button reportedly just switches
back to Metro now.  The standard refrain is "it's just a preview" but
that's what they said about the Ribbon, and Vista, too.  I hope this
doesn't turn into another "We're Microsoft, and we say you're going to
do it *this* way now, so tough tootsies" affair.

-- Ben