From: Mike [mailto:ntsysad...@rccs.org]
To: NT System Admin Issues [mailto:ntsysadmin@lyris.sunbelt-software.com]
Sent: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 12:50:37 -0500
Subject: Backup devices...

I’ve read a few threads on here regarding alternatives to tape, but haven’t
really found what I’m looking for. Right now, several of my clients are using a
removable drive system from Addonics called the Ruby Drive Cartridge System
(http://www.addonics.com/products/ruby/ruby_dcs.asp). This system is nice
because it connects via esata or usb and uses 2.5” harddrives as the storage
medium. Backups are very fast through esata. Our fileserver backs up about
140GB in about 35 minutes with this system using cheap 500GB drives.

  The only problem with this system is the manufacturing quality and
consistency. I’ve gotten a few cartridges that won’t plug in properly to the
cradle, and others don’t slide in and out smoothly. It really seems like it’s
cheaply made. Are there any other removable drive systems out there that use
2.5” drives like this? I’m really surprised that I have not been able to find a
higher quality system than this one.

  Thanks,

  Mike

                   ISO 9001: 2008 with Design