I have the HTC EVO ( Sprint ) and for virtual keyboards I really like
Swype.  But to be honest, I like even more the speech to text capability,
where I can literally dictate a message into the SMS text app, or the email
apps.  Accuracy is very good, doesn't usually require any more correction
than the spelling and autocorrect mistakes from the keyboard.
Hopefully your version of Android has this feature too ???