Thanks. I seem to remember trying to enable this kind of auditing and it was
like drinking from a fire hose...

Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: Ben Scott [mailto:mailvor...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 20, 2011 11:01 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: NTFS permissions

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 1:10 PM, David Lum <david....@nwea.org> wrote:
> I can turn on logging to capture ACL changes can't I?

  You would need to enable "File access" auditing in Audit Policy (under
Security Policy in GPO-land).

  You would then need to create SACLs (Security ACLs, used for auditng
(permissions are DACLs)) on the objects in question (files/folders), auditing
Success for WRITE_DAC.

  That's the theory, anyway.  In practice, NT generates all kinds of audit
events for permissions that were simply requested but never used, and it turns
out that lots of things (including Windows
Explorer) request everything for everything they do.

  Microsoft eventually introduced some separate event IDs for actually
*using* the thing being audited.  I don't remember if that had shown up by 2003
or not.  And without subcategory audit policies (I'm pretty sure those are not
in 2003) you still get a ton of useless audit events to slow down the system
and fill up the log.

-- Ben