On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 9:31 AM, Eric Brouwer <ithelp.e...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If you had to secure your own personal computer at home (Windows 7),
> what AV, firewall, malware protection would you install?

  I run Linux at home.  ;-)

  But I do have a Wintendo box running XP.  I use the built-in
firewall on the PC itself.  I also have a SOHO router+WAP running
DD-WRT in front of that.  Primary malware scanner is Microsoft
Security Essentials, mainly because it's free and effective and
low-maintenance.  I used to use AVG but it became a pain in the a**
with unwanted features and major version obsolescence.

  On any platform, the regular user account I use is non-admin.  I
have filesystem permissions set-up to lock things down for non-admin
users.  The admin account I only use for software updates and system
changes.

  On any platform, I browse the web with scripts, Flash, Java,
cookies, etc., disabled by default, and selectively-enable using
NoScript and Permit Cookies (Firefox extensions).  I've also got the
more dangerous JavaScript actions (such as menu-changing and
window-decoration-hiding) disabled always.

  On any platform, I keep patches and updates current for all software.

  On any platform, I employ common sense about what web sites,
software, etc., I trust, and examine things closely.

-- Ben