For discussions of this nature, the noun previously known as nerve has been
replaced with iPath :)

From: Crawford, Scott [mailto:crawfo...@evangel.edu]
Sent: Friday, October 28, 2011 3:16 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: From the Mac Enterprise list

I sense an agitated nerve :)

Agreed.

From: Michael B. Smith
[mailto:mich...@smithcons.com]<mailto:[mailto:mich...@smithcons.com]>
Sent: Friday, October 28, 2011 5:04 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues

I'm a consultant, and I do whatever my clients want me to do; but I have to say
(with only reading that article and not the entire white paper) that that is
somewhat short-sighted.

IT is there to support the business - absolutely. And whatever the business
deems a requirement, then IT has to do. But the business has to fund it. And
let's make no mistake - there is a REAL COST to deploying Apple devices and
supporting them at the same level of Windows devices.

And some of those points the article makes are specious - you can get
top-of-the-line Windows machines at comparable cost to a top-of-the-line Apple
machines - including SSDs and very high performance.

If the Apple owners don't want to be "bogged down" with anti-virus, or software
distribution and protection services, or network access protection - I'm
inclined to say that that is just too frickin' bad. Corporate demands those
standards for a reason. And should. And must continue doing so.

If the business is willing to support the Apple effort and interoperability -
then rock on! But pretending it's free or "no additional cost" - that's a
Pollyanna statement.

Regards,

Michael B. Smith
Consultant and Exchange MVP