Our plan is to do something similar and I understand that it will work as long
as the firmware is current.

The only actual experience I have is replacing a Dell 250GB drive with a
non-Dell one. Couldn't have been easier. Pulled out the old, inserted the new
and auto rebuild ensued.

Sent from my Palm Pre on the Now Network from Sprint