From: Ben Scott [mailto:mailvor...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 08, 2011 9:52 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: OT - Phone System In A Virtual Machine

On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 8:56 AM, James Kerr <cluster...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a desire to run a voice-mail and PBX on virtual machines, if possible.

  If the phone system requires any special hardware in the PC, it's unlikely to
work.  For example, expansion cards for interface to analog or TDM ports.

  For something that's just an Internet Protocol node, it should work.
  expect vendor support will be the biggest issue.  Phone equipment makers
often act[1] rather ignorant when it comes to their PC-based platforms.  You
don't want to end up in a "We don't support that configuration" scenario if
your phones are down.

  From a technical standpoint, it should be fine.  OSes are already
time-sliced; you're just time-slicing the OS now, too.  There may be some tech
details to work through.  Real-time voice is very susceptible to latency and
jitter, so there may be some VM tuning involved there.  You prolly don't want
to oversubscribe the host resources for that VM.

-- Ben

[1] "Act", not necessarily "are"