The guest VM does show VSS errors, but those have been happening all along,
ever since I started using Windows backup on the H-V host.  Event 12293 from
source VSS:

"Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Error calling a routine on the Shadow
Copy Provider {b5946137-7b9f-4925-af80-51abd60b20d5}. Routine details
IVssSnapshotProvider::QueryVolumesSupportedForSnapshots(ProviderId,8388617,.
..) [hr = 0x8000ffff]."

There's a total of 7 of these, all identical when the backup begins, and a
single one when the backup completes.

Eventid.net led me to this article
<http://dascomputerconsultants.com/volumeshadowcopybroken.htm>  that
suggests that the volume ID should be changed.  Any harm in just trying
that?   And the question that goes along with that, if we're talking about
volumes (separate partitions) within the VM's .VHD, there are two, so do I
need to change the volume ID of both?

I haven't waited to see if the backup would complete or checked whether the
backup is even continuing while the VM in saved state.   Maybe I'll get
another chance to observe this evening...

Carl