From: John Hornbuckle [mailto:john.hornbuc...@taylor.k12.fl.us]
Sent: Thursday, 8 December 2011 11:59 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: RAMDisk Prevalence?

I'm reasonably sure that was a joke.

-----Original Message-----
From: Crawford, Scott [mailto:crawfo...@evangel.edu]
Sent: Thursday, December 08, 2011 10:37 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues

>  I backup to a RAM disk.  It's much faster that way.

At best, that's only a temporary backup.  Useful if you're changing a file and
need to revert to the previous version rather quickly. Otherwise, as soon as
that machine goes down for any reason, your backup starts to fade rather
quickly. Some of the compressed-air-ram-freezing techniques may be useful here,
but unless you're nearby soon, you're out of luck.

> Haven't heard of the notion of using RAMdisks in AGES.  Are people
> still using them?

  I backup to a RAM disk.  It's much faster that way.

-- Ben