On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 10:41 PM, Michael B. Smith <mich...@smithcons.com> wrote:
> Basically encapsulated EPS, as I understand it.

  Indeed.  PDF began life as a project to produce a Postscript-like
page description language without the potentially dangerous
capabilities of Postscript, which is more like a complete programming
language.  (I recall someone wrote a web server in PostScript.  Yes,
it runs on printers.)

  It's rather ironic that, in Adobe's quest to justify the upgrade
treadmill, they've added numerous such dangerous capabilities in their
extensions.  Acrobat has a JavaScript interpreter now, for cripes
sake.

-- Ben