On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 8:41 AM, Richard McClary
<richard.mccl...@aspca.org> wrote:
> I’m much happier now, and I’m glad I’m not the only person who dislikes the
> new format.

  Far from it.  Here's my rant from when Google first inflicted this upon me:

<RANT>

  New color scheme uses lots of similar colors and shaded backgrounds.
 It also uses faint color variations where before it just had simple
text/character markers (e.g., current message).  The result: Loss of
contrast, loss of visual cues.  I find it much harder to read.

 Various functions I used a lot -- especially "Mark as Read" -- have
been moved into a "More" drop down menu.  This despite there being
plenty of free space in the bar for the buttons.

 The label list now expands and contracts automatically when I point
to it.  This damages subconscious memory of where labels are.  It's a
moving target.  Fail.

  When the message list is "semi-collapsed" (message hidden but
snippets still visible), it uses at least twice as much space per
message as before.

  The colored name labels for different people in a conversation are
gone.  I guess the face icons are supposed to replace that, but not
everyone has a Google account with a photo, thanks.

  And that's just what I discovered in the first 30 seconds, before I
switched back to the "old look".

  Dear software companies everywhere, but especially Google,
Microsoft, and Facebook: Stop fscking moving everything around because
the latest wanker you hired thinks he can improve things 0.023% or
because some focus group said gray is the new black.  Leave it fscking
where it is so we have a hope in heck of learning how to use it.  We
don't change how cars and light switches work every three years, and
there's a darn good reason for that.  So stop it.  Just.  Stop.

 Sincerely,

Ben Scott
Chief Disgruntled Officer
Curmudgeons Local 151