I am working on a PowerCLI (Powershell with VMware extension) script that I want to use to determine memory and vCPU over-commit - i.e., that I have allocated too much vCPU or memory to a VM. I can figure out the memory easily enough - I take the maximum of the last 30 days worth of 2 hour intervals of "mem.usage.stat" counter, and compare that to the amount of memory allocated to the VM (MemoryMB). If MemoryMB / Max MemUsed is more than 2.0, then I've allocated more than twice what the memory needs of this VM are (based on the last 30 days usage), and I should be able to drop down the allocated memory, still have enough of a buffer for unusual needs for the VM, and save some cluster resources as a reserve.

But how can I get a similar result for vCPU? For example, if I have a VM with 4 vCPUs, is there any way to determine that I can get along just fine with 2 vCPUs, based on max CPU usage for the last 30 days? What counters do I look at, and how do they relate to the number of vCPUs allocated? On the VMware forums, I've been advised like this:

Once you have collected your max CPU usage stat I would do the following.

CPUsageMax * ( CurrentCPUCount / NewCPUCount)
If output is < 85 reduce by 1 vCPU. Loop this to see if you need to remove more then one vCPU. Same equation for adding vCPUs

For instance.  You have 3 vCPUs at 50% utilisation.

50 * (3/2) = 75

In this case you can drop down to one vCPU.

Thoughts on this methodology? I know that there are commercial programs to analyze your VMware cluster, and tell you these things, and even adjust them, but we don't have the budget for Capacity IQ. So I'm trying for a "some improvement is better than no improvement". Is there a better way to estimate this? I have a few VMs with 4 vCPUs, and while I'm sure I can knock a CPU off those VMs, I need some numbers to back me up, and to show that removing one vCPU won't negatively impact that VM too much ...

Thanks, and sorry for the OT.