Perfect, that sounds like a plan.  I hadn't thought of that.

Thanks!

From: David Lum [mailto:david....@nwea.org]
Sent: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 3:12 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: ideas for migrating from 32-bit to 64-bit Server 2008

Swing migration baby...keep the same domain.

In very general steps: Grab a  PC, load a Server OS on it (no need to
activate it, you'll be tearing it down), join to domain, make it a
TEMPDC, seize roles, robocopy the folder *structure* (incl perms) ,
export the reg keys for the lanmanshares, wipe and upgrade the existing
DC OS, join to domain, DCPROMO, seize roles, restore file shares,
restore files, test new DC, demote the TEMPDC.

Add a step or two if this DC also does DNS and DHCP, you need to
transfer that over as well.

Effectively TEMPDC is a functional clone of YOURDC and allows you to
keep UserID's and passwords, AD groups and NTFS ACL's

With a couple of extra steps you can bring up the rebuilt DC with the
same name as the old one, depending on your environment it might not
matter (not having Exchange helps).

Dave