From: Reimer, Mark [mailto:mark.rei...@prairie.edu]
Sent: Monday, January 30, 2012 3:31 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Wireless bridge between buildings.

Hi folks,

Have about 10 building on a campus. They are currently connected with fiber
from a main hub. The fibers run through tunnels. The buildings all contain
clients (and VOIP phones), with no servers. All the servers are in main
building, and all traffic comes through here.

The tunnels are old, and there is talk of collapsing them. I'm thinking of
possibly putting up line-of-sight antennas on each building as a way of
connecting. Distances would be < 300 meters.

My question is.   Is there wireless fast enough for this? Right now the fiber
is running 1 GBs (62.5 Um). I would need to have communications be at least
this fast, if not faster.

If this is not feasible/possible, there is a possibility of running pipe in the
current tunnels, and pulling new fiber (50 Um) (which I'm thinking of doing
anyway, to get faster speed), then these pipes will be buried when the tunnels
are collapsed. Upgrading this in the future would be tedious.

Other ideas are welcome.

TIA

Mark Reimer, A+, MCSA
Servers & Networking Admin