I had not considered Lync.  thanks for the recommendations folks.

>>> "James Hill" <falc...@gmail.com> 1/31/2012 9:13 PM >>>

Lync.  If you have core cal’s you are already covered on the client
side for standard edition licensing.
Or if you don’t want to set it up in-house there is always Office 365
(although that is probably overkill just for Lync).

From:Tom Miller [mailto:tmil...@hnncsb.org]
Sent: Wednesday, 1 February 2012 7:18 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Corporate IM

Hi Folks,

Recommendations for an secure/enterprise IM product?  The main use
would be between my org and a few partners for IT communication.
Internally we have an in-house product.

Suggestions appreciated.  Someone recommended https://www.hipchat.com/
- looks pretty good.

Tom

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including attachments, is
for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain
disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended
copies of the original message.