Not any help or criticism of you but a suggestion that might help you long
term.  Bring in an outside contractor specifically to work on the network
and get them to teach you a lot of the basics as they fix things.  This
will make things easier for you and you might find out that the network is
just setup wrong or extended further than it should have been.  The other
alternative would be take some night classes in networking.  I did both but
started out with the first one years ago.  Like you I did not have the
basics down and missed things the contractor caught in the first 5
minutes.  The night classes helped polish up enough that while I am not a
network person I can usually find my way out of any hole I get thrown
into.  I got real lucky in that the contractor was also one of the
instructors at a local college and was very good at both teaching and
fixing problems.

Jon