From: Steve Kradel [mailto:skra...@zetetic.net]
Sent: Friday, February 03, 2012 2:19 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: CN format question

I would hazard to guess 50% of Active Directory deployments use "CN=Last\,
First" RDN format.  It is quite normal, and an application has no business
trying to parse meaningful stuff out of the RDN anyway... that is why the
discrete "sn" and "givenName" fields are there.  Certainly if an application
cannot tolerate an escaped comma in the DN at all, that's an application bug,
not a problem with the directory data.

IMHO, "CN=logonid" is a better way--this is how most non-AD directories
roll--but I guess since ADUC slops the name fields into CN / RDN, that approach
persists in AD generally.

--Steve