Stoppit, you guys are making me dream...

From: Webster [mailto:webs...@carlwebster.com]
Sent: Monday, February 06, 2012 11:36 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: OT - ugh!

I will have to give MBS 100% credit.  He bugged, pestered, annoyed and prodded
me until I started writing.  Once I started writing, people started reading.
Once people started reading, I gained a "name" in the Citrix space.  Once I got
a "name", I was honored with the CTP.  Once I got the CTP, I was instantly in a
really nice network of extremely smart people.

I initially balked at the idea of going solo because "just how much Citrix work
can there possibly be out there"?  And besides, who in the world would hire me!
to do anything?   All my work comes thru my web site, Experts Exchange, fellow
CTP, LinkedIn, Dice and word-of-mouth.

Share your knowledge (even if like me you don't think you have anything to
share) with the community and you may be surprised at what opens up for you.

If you decide to go the writing route (which I strongly encourage you to do),
be prepared to receive a bunch or criticism for what you share.  Only those who
stick their neck out and share, get recognized.

I recommend you read the book, The Nomadic Developer.  Wherever you see the
word developer in the book, insert your title of choice (Network Admin, Network
Engineer, Network Consultant, Systems Analyst, etc).

I estimate I turn down 3 FTEs a week, and probably that many work offers every
week.  I can't possibly get to all the Citrix work that comes my way or all the
AD work the Citrix world is throwing my way.

I know rates depend on the area of the country you are in and I thought MBS was
nuts when he told me to up my rate, but I charge $150/hr plus expenses and have
had no one (but contracting agencies) complain.  As busy as I am, maybe I need
to up my rates again! :)

Thanks

Carl Webster

Consultant and Citrix Technology Professional

http://www.CarlWebster.com<http://www.carlwebster.com/>