*From:* Mike Sullivan [mailto:neog...@gmail.com]
*Sent:* Wednesday, February 08, 2012 11:45 AM
*To:* NT System Admin Issues
*Subject:* Re: OT:open directory

Did you already look at this thread? https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3228321?start=0&tstart=0 <https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3228321?start=0&tstart=0>

It looks like there are issues if your domain ends in a .local.

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 11:36 AM, Bill Humphries <nt...@hedgedigger.com <mailto:nt...@hedgedigger.com>> wrote:

OK, i know this is way OT for many of you, but I know we have a few edu people around here that may use it. I'm usually binding macs to AD, not OD so I'm not up on all the gotchas that Apple usually doesn't document very well.

I have a video production client we are preparing to install Xsan for. They have a Lion Xserver already in place. They want to use Open Directory to better manage file access perms. I have OD installed, ldap is advertised via DHCP and I have successfully bound a machine and logged in as a OD user on the workstation. Problem is it doesn't work on every machine. I have two laptops. One is a Lion, one is Snow Leopard. The SL laptop binds and allows a network user to login. The Lion laptop fails to bind. I get the "getting server information" then it goes to "unable to add server. connection failed to the directory server (2100)."
Any hints or help appreciated.

Thanks.

Bill

~ <http://www.sunbeltsoftware.com/Business/VIPRE-Enterprise/> ~