On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 3:08 PM, Kurt Buff <kurt.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Not huge news, but perhaps a useful technique.
> http://www.nextgov.com/nextgov/ng_20120210_8712.php

  It's absolutely a useful technique.  It's something I've been doing
(and even occasionally advocating) for years.

  The theory is simple: Don't let software run from unauthorized
locations.  Don't let users modify the authorized locations.

  Implementation concept: Set permissions such that users can't write
to locations where programs can run from.  For example, don't let them
write to <C:\Program Files> or <C:\WINDOWS>.  Then use Software
Restrictions Policy (SRP) to only allow execute from those locations.
Now executables in user's profile folders, temp directories, etc.,
can't run.  So even if a user downloads malicious or unauthorized
software to their home directory, the system will refuse to run it.

  It is akin to the Unix-world's practice of mounting /tmp and /home
with the "noexec" option, although Microsoft's approach with SRP gives
you much more fine-grained control.

  One potential pitfall: SRP uses file extensions to determine
executable status.  Windows sometimes uses file content to determine
executable status.  For example, a Portable Executable renamed to have
a .LNK extension will be executed anyway, depending on how you invoke
it.  So for SRP to close all holes, you have to apply it to *.LNK
files, which means users' desktop shortcuts and "Recent Items" lists
break.  Pick your poison.

  I suspect the major reason that large organizations pay such big
money for "application whitelisting" solutions is that they have poor
control over software.  One admin does one thing, another does
something else, and there's no central control.  Plus lots of crap
software that wants to write to system locations.  (I'd call it
"legacy software" but let's face it, crap like that is pushed out
brand new every day.)  So they try and buy products to fix the mess.
While this approach is not without value, I can't help but think of Ed
Crowley's maxim on technological solutions and behavioral problems.

-- Ben