It sounds like you want to have users access their desktops via VPN while they
are outside your network.

Others will suggest much more elegant solutions, but I suggest you setup each
desktop to allow them to remote-desktop in to their machines at work. We do
this using the Barracuda SSL-VPN. The trick is:

1. Each desktop must be running a version of windows that allows remote
desktop. (XP Pro, Vista Business, etc...)
2. Each desktop must be on at the time the user wants to VPN in. (Not asleep,
or able to be woken up with WOL)
3. Each desktop must be configured to allow remote access. (This can be set on
each individual computer or managed using group policy.)
4. Each user must be trained on how to connect to their desktop remotely using
all the pieces necessary. (How to connect to the VPN, how to run Remote
Desktop, what the limitations are.)

Barracuda tries to handle many of these steps for the users. Each user can
specify the name of their computer in Barracuda, so the SSL-VPN can wake it up
if necessary. It also has a VPN client (that runs off of Java, no configuration
needed) and built in RDP clients (Including a Java one, or can feed the user a
.rdp to launch). The biggest selling point for the Barracuda is the no user
limitations, and the no VPN client required. You just buy the size of device
for your needs and pay for the maintenance.

Note: We have only deployed this solution for a small number of users. I have
not tried the WOL, although that function is there (My computer never sleeps).
Other remote solutions than RDP are available, such as Citrix, NX, VNC, putty,
and others.

--Matt Ross
Ephrata School District