I'll second some of the sentiments regarding background of the folks you expect
to be operating the system. I'll also add  the value of the data and how
stringent your requirements are as factors.

We migrated to CommVault from NetBackup. The policy based backup was something
not completely unfamiliar, so we could have probably figured it out without
training.

However, we were also planning in implementing some de-dupe and D2D options, as
well as looking to delegate some restore capability to other teams. We also
serve a government customer with some regulation requirements (HIPAA, etc...)
that may require encryption as well as specific retention policies for volatile
data.

Thus, to cover our bases, we opted for a combination of on-site professional
services as well as some training.

Data storage is not a place I care to say "whoops" as a result of uneducated
administration staff for.

-sc