What did you do to test the pathway into NYC?

From: Richard McClary [mailto:richard.mccl...@aspca.org]
Sent: Tuesday, May 15, 2012 8:53 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Help w/DNS MX records

Greetings!

We have an email-to fax gateway (Faxcore).  Our email system is hosted Exchange
(Perimeter), and our external DNS is hosted by Cogent.

The external FQDN for the gateway is "faxcore1.mwro.aspca.org".  There is an MX
record for "faxcore1.mwro." with the data entry "faxcore1.mwro.aspca.org."
(priority of 10).  This is MIP'd in through our firewall to the IP address for
"faxcore1.aspca.local".  There is an MX record "faxcore1.aspca.local".

We send faxes, either through the user's Exchange client or through a scripted
reports system, to "[Phone_Number]@faxcore1.mwro.aspca.org".  Mail leaves our
network, is processed by the Perimeter system, and mail meant for faxcore1 is
delivered to the gateway through the MIP'd port in the firewall.  The gateway
then processes the mail, digitized it, dials the recipient's fax machine , and
all is well (barring other problems).

We are in Illinois.  We have a WAN cloud to our NYC offices.

Now, regarding "other problems"...   We had a 25 hour internet outage a month
ago.  Internet traffic was re-routed into the WAN cloud, so much of what we
needed from the internet was available.  However, with the internet connection
"broken", all our MIP'd DNS entries had no way back into our firewall.

We are trying to alter things so that, if the Illinois firewall is down,
Faxcore traffic is re-directed to an NYC firewall and come to Illinois via the
WAN cloud.

Currently, we have these DNS entries with Cogent:

faxcore1.mwro                 A             63.85.204.151
faxcore1.mwro.                MX  10  faxcore1.mwro.aspca.org

(this works when the Illinois internet connection is up)
I've added:

faxcore2.mwro                 A             38.96.187231
faxcore1.mwro.                MX  20  faxcore2.mwro.aspca.org.

The NYC firewall has the 38.x.x.x address MIP'd and has the same policy
settings as the Illinois firewall.

Now to test...
I disable the Faxcore policy in the Illinois firewall.  I'd like to think that
mail routing would then use the MX record with the lower priority and try
sending it through NYC.  NOPE!  Messages do not make it to Faxcore to be
processed.  I see no traffic through the NYC firewall.  (FWIW, I've also added
an MX record, priority 25, for faxcore2.aspca.local. .)

After 5 minutes or so (as Faxcore is a production machine sending out about 100
or so medical records per day), I re-enable the Faxcore policy on the Illinois
firewall.  The test faxes soon arrive once Illinois is back accepting traffic.

So, if I could get some assistance, I figure at least one of the following:

1.       I do not have MX records set properly

2.       Mail traffic is not going to NYC because the Illinois firewall is
accepting internet traffic (but is blocking mail)

Anything else?  That 25-hour internet outage made for a really bad back-log for
our Client Services group to sort through, re-send, contacting clients, etc...

Thanks!
--
Richard D. McClary
Jr Infrastructure Architect, Information Technology Group

The information contained in this e-mail, and any attachments hereto, is from
The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals(r) (ASPCA(r)) and
is intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein and may contain
legally privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended
recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
distribution, copying or use of the contents of this e-mail, and any
attachments hereto, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in
error, please immediately notify me by reply email and permanently delete the
original and any copy of this e-mail and any printout thereof.

or send an email to