Sitting in my home office working on XenApp servers on remote data centers and
all of the sudden I lost all power to the house.  Our local utility is
implementing smart meters in our area so I thought maybe something went wrong
and the neighborhood lost power.  Nope, just us.  Our next door neighborhood is
an EE so we get him to come over a take a look.  After a lot of looking it
turns out the ceiling fan in our guest bedroom had fallen out of the ceiling,
broke its electrical wires which tripped the master breaker and shut off power.

I have 7 UPSes in my office and this was a real test and three of them failed.
THe two backing up my main computer and its four monitors didn't last 10
minutes when they should have easily have lasted 180 minutes or more (APC
BackUPS 1500).  All three UPSes have been replaced and our neighbor fixed our
wiring and I can get back to billable work.

Thought y'all might enjoy a little laugh on my part. :)

Thanks

Carl Webster

Consultant and Citrix Technology Professional

http://www.CarlWebster.com<http://www.carlwebster.com/>