On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 9:07 AM, Ken Schaefer <k...@adopenstatic.com> wrote:
> Hmm - this isn't "security through obscurity" per se ...
> This seems to be a code path that bypasses (or is designed to bypass)
> the rest of the security options. The article does note that it doesn't
> work on all locks - so maybe it's a bug.

  You made a good point about it possibly being a bug or common
misconfiguration.

  But assuming it's just a mechanism designed to bypass all the other
security features -- e.g., for service by the manufacturer -- it very
much is a case of security-through-obscurity.  STO is information
which, if disclosed, compromises the security design.

  A proper security design can have all the design details known to
everyone and still remain secure.

> [These locks are] not designed to keep an intelligence agency out of your
> room.

  Sure, but it'd be nice if they were designed to keep someone with
$50 worth of commodity hardware out of my room.

-- Ben