Format-Table doesn't play nice with the pipeline past itself.  From your
example I suspect you used Out-File instead of Export-CSV.  I just did as a
quick test of both and the output is not nearly as pretty as Export-CSV

Using select-object you narow down which items get passed down the pipeline
but you still preserve all the data, etc.  This will play nice with the
various Export-* commands.  The various Format-* commands are realy for
output to the screen as your end destination.  They dont seem to play nice
with the pipeline past themselves.  The downside to select-object is that
ONLY the items you select are passed along.  Everything else gets dropped.
For most basic scripts/cmdline uses this is fine. It only gets complicated
if you wanted to do more stuff with other data in the object.

So, as a habit when playing with data, I would suggest using select-object
as it plays nice with the pipelines which opens up a world of oportunity
later.

You should definitly check out the 3 videos I suggested earlier.  I'm still
learning stuff I missed myself and I posted some notes on what I learned in
the last one. I need to go back over the remoting one so may post notes on
that one as well.
http://www.blkmtn.org/PowerShell-neat_function_tricks_for_free

MBS or one of the others will point out if I don't have this quite right as
he is way better at PowerShell than I am, but the PowerShell community as a
practice tends to discourage Format-* as the output point in scripts. It
tends to make it less useful in the long run for flexibility and re-use.

Steven Peck
http://www.blkmtn.org

<<image001.jpg>>