From: Ken Schaefer [mailto:k...@adopenstatic.com]
Sent: 09 August 2012 03:23
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Weird issue

I would work your way systemically up the stack from lowest to highest:

a) tracert from the two machines at the site (the affected and non affected
machines). Is the routing path the same for both machines? Is the name
resolving correctly? This can help eliminate DNS and routing issues.
b) Next, eliminate the browser as a problem: use telnet.exe on the two
machines, and verify that a connection to port 80 on the server can be
established. This can also help eliminate a FW or other oddity that might be
blocking a connection.
c) verify the server is responding, by issuing a GET request in the telnet
window. If the server is responding, check the web server logs on the server to
see what an expected log file entry looks like
d) examine the browser configuration: is a proxy server, or something else odd,
configured in the browser? If you install another browser, do you have an issue?
e) after making a request in the browser, see if the request is making it to
the server: anything in httperr.log logfile? Anything in the IIS logfile?
Anything in eth Windows Event Log?

Cheers
Ken