On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 7:36 PM, Ken Schaefer <k...@adopenstatic.com> wrote:
> [...]

Yes.

> We're the only ones here that read web pages about security best practises,
> or attend events or read books?

No, but some of those banks have certainly missed the boat - the ones
that don't allow long passwords or non-alphnumeric characters in their
web passwords for sure, and probably even a few who have covered those
bases.

>The IT guys at banks never went to Uni, are all ignoramuses and banks have
>never hired a security officer or architect ever?

Going to Uni != intelligence, nor does having the title of security
officer or architect.

> By all means, keep up pressure on organisations to lift their game. But I
> think it's grossly unfair
> to impugn people personally for this issue, and particularly for the offence
> you have listed.

I don't. If we don't call them on their $#!+, they won't change.
Whether it's the IT staff or the executives, someone in the org is
mal/mis/non-feasant, and I don't care at which level it happened.

> From what I can gather most people on this list work in small environments,
> and mostly for non-commercial organisations - the types of places were IT is
> relatively simple and there aren't a lot of constraints, interoperability or
> legacy systems to work with.

And the budgets are far smaller. Larger institutions should plan out
their web presence before launch, and it's painfully obvious that some
haven't.

> In any case, having worked in three different countries to-date, my personal
> experience of banking is that:
> a) some banks implement additional password systems, to complement whatever
> their legacy system is.
> This could take the form of an additional logon after your main logon. This
> would allow a bank to implement
> a new, up-to-date, user authentication system to sit next to their legacy one

And some don't.

> b) some banks implement 2FA: every bank in Singapore (for example) issues
> tokens to customers and also
> provides the option for SMS based one-time PINs

And some don't.

> I strongly believe that IT in banks (at least in the developed world) are
> just as, or far more aware, of threats than we are.

Sometimes yes, but on the evidence, sometimes no. It's why I left my
most recent credit union for a better one, with stronger login
security for their web presence. I didn't want their problem to be my
problem. I also know that some banks are no better.

Kurt