I wasn't super jazzed when I got my iPhone (original one back in 2007).  It
was a gift.  I didn't think I needed it at the time.  That changed rather
quickly.  I use the phone in all sorts of ways I'd never expected I would
at the time.  The phone part of it does suck, still, to be sure.  But I
hate talking on the phone, I try and minimize that as much as possible, so
it's not a big deal to me.
Access to a computer, anytime, anywhere is pretty good.  I'm not a huge app
user, I have the apps I have and don't go hunting for anything unless I
have a need.  The biggest use for my phone?  Seems to be taking pictures of
stuff that I might need info on later on.  I'm at a user's desk, they have
a problem.  Snap a picture of their service tag, go back to my desk and
search for driver updates for that tag.  There are ll kinds of things and
situations that I need to remember something for a little bit but I can
take a picture of it and discard it when finished.  I use my camera a lot,
more than I ever thought I would.