My googlefu has failed me.  I've searched for and tested several potential
solutions to this problem.  Perhaps someone out there can enlighten me.

I have several Windows XP Pro SP2 computers on my network that have poor
performance when copying small files, and normal performance when copying
large files.  When I say poor performance, I'm in a 100 Mb
switched environment and I'm achieving 2 to 4 Mbits/sec copying small
files.  On other computers, I can copy the same set of files at about
20-30Mbits/second. Several is at least 11 out of 50.

Two computers of the same make can perform differently.  A wipe and
reinstall on my computer brought the speed back to what I would expect, so
it would seem to be a registry setting.  I'm speculating, because our
previous sysadmin had a penchant for mucking with the registry to fix any
little problem and frequenty created more problems in the process.

I've found this article from MS KB, but it didn't address the problem.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321098

Thanks,
Jonathan